Eligible study courses

This information is provided solely as a guideline; only the laws published in the Official Journal of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg are authoritative.

You may receive AideFi for your studies if the programme in which you enrol meets the criteria listed in Article 2 paragraph (1) of the amended law of 24 July 2014 on state financial aid for higher education (loi modifiée du 24 juillet 2014 concernant l’aide financière de l’État pour études supérieures).

  • It must be a higher education study programme (1st cycle, 2nd cycle, research programme);
  • The study programme must award a higher education diploma, qualification or degree;
  • The study programme must fall under the higher education system of the country in which the qualification is awarded.

As a student in secondary school, you  may also receive AideFi for vocational training programmes, if you have been authorised by the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth (Ministère de l'Éducation nationale, de l'Enfance et de la Jeunesse) to pursue the vocational training abroad (applications for this authorisation must be submitted in writing to the department of vocational training at men.lu.)

To receive an official authorisation from the Department of Vocational Training (Service de la formation professionnelle - SFP) on the awarding of AideFi, the following criteria must be met:

  • the vocational training must not be offered in your country of residence;
  • the course must be a full-time course offered at the school;
  • the candidate must go 'abroad', where the term 'abroad' is considered with reference to their place of residence.

An official application, along with proof of enrolment and the training programme, must be sent by post to the department of vocational training at: Service de la formation professionnelle (SFP), 29, rue Aldringen, L-2926 Luxembourg.

Please note that if you are pursuing a vocational training programme you may be eligible for family allowances during the training period and to be eligible for AideFi you must apply for them.

To receive an approval or rejection notification for family allowances, it is necessary to submit an official application for each academic year. Please send an application including a copy of the enrolment certificate for the current academic year by post to Zukunftskeess - Caisse pour l'Avenir des Enfants (CAE) at the following address: 6, Boulevard Royal, L-2449 Luxembourg (if you have already received the questionnaire from CAE for the current academic year, please return it to them with the requested documents). It is also possible to submit an application through their online contact form.

Last update