Move to Luxembourg
As a European student, you do not need to apply for a visa or residence permit.
Third country nationals
Before your arrival
- Check carefully whether you meet the requirements for admission to the study programme you are interested in.
- Apply for a temporary authorisation to stay (AST) to the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs - Immigration Directorate.
- If you are a national of a country for which a visa to enter Luxembourg is required, apply for a type D visa (long stay visa).
After you arrive
- As soon as you arrive, make a declaration of arrival in your new commune of residence in Luxembourg.
- Undergo a medical check-up.
- Apply for a residence permit for third-country students.
Living expenses and accomodation
More and more of you are choosing Luxembourg as your destination for higher education studies! What sort of budget should you expect keeping in mind that accommodation costs are quite high as are the costs of going out? In order to help you financially, the Luxembourg government has set up an attractive system of grants and loans.More and more of you are choosing Luxembourg as your destination for higher education studies! What sort of budget should you expect keeping in mind that accommodation costs are quite high as are the costs of going out? In order to help you financially, the Luxembourg government has set up an attractive system of grants and loans.
There are several websites that provide information on the cost of living, accommodation, transport etc. You will find an excellent summary on
- the website of the University of Luxembourg
- the official portal of Luxembourg
University accomondation facilities
The number of university residences is increasing rapidly and shared accommodation is becoming more and more popular. Check the specialised websites several months before your arrival in Luxembourg.
The University of Luxembourg has a number of residences located in several cities in the country.
The Lycée Technique pour Professions de Santé offers 17 furnished rooms reserved for LTPS students.
Consult the specialised websites.
The European Health Insurance Card, issued by the social security organisation in your country of residence, allows you to receive benefits in kind in Luxembourg. You have the option of registering with the Caisse nationale de santé (CNS) in order to obtain reimbursement of medical expenses from the CNS.
Third country national applicants
In order to be permanently enrolled in an institution of higher education, every student must present a attestation of affiliation to a medical cover indicating precisely the period of cover (compulsory mention of the start and end dates of this insurance). It must cover the duration of the semester for which the student is registered! If you do not have such insurance, you will have to pay the contributions at the same time as the enrolment fees directly to the respective Institution of Higher Education. The certificate of affiliation is to be handed in when you arrive in Luxembourg. Otherwise the payment of the membership fees will have to be payed at the same time as the enrolment fees with the Institution of Higher Education.
Student jobs and internships
More and more of you are working during your studies. However, it is important to keep your studies as your first priority.
As a result, you are allowed to work, regardless of your nationality, during school holidays and/or throughout the year.
Student contract during school holidays
- if you are over 15 and under 27
- for a period limited to two months per calendar year and only during holidays (see the academic calendar)
- for a minimum remuneration = 80% of the minimum social wage, progressively according to your age
Fixed-term employment contract
- if you are at least 16 years old
- for a duration of 15 hours per week. The contract can be renewed more than 2 times within the limit of 60 months (5 years), without being considered as an employment contract
for an indefinite period of time (CDI).
- for a minimum social wage not qualified according to your age
Find a job or internship