United Kingdom Moving to the United Kingdom

Student visa  

Since January 1st 2021, a student visa is required if you are staying in the UK for more than 6 months.

You can apply for a student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

Health insurance

UK healthcare as part of your Visa application

International students do not need private medical insurance when studying in the UK.

If you’re making an immigration application online you pay the healthcare surcharge as part of the application process. It costs £470 per year to gain access to the NHS (National Health Service)

You pay this fee during your visa application and it covers free medical treatment (including emergency or hospital care) and reduced price dental care at an NHS dentist.


University halls of residence

Most universities provide places for first-year students in their halls of residence.

You may be offered accommodation in a hall of residence where you will have your own bedroom but share facilities such as the kitchen with other students.
If your course lasts for more than a year, you may be able to stay in halls for the subsequent years too. If not, you will have to find private accommodation.
Your college or university may be able to help you arrange this, or offer managed properties (private accommodation managed by the college or university).
Check the websites of those institutions for further information. Complete the accommodation form of the universities and return it by the date stated.

Private sector accommodation

Many students live in private, rented accommodation. This is especially popular for students in the second year of their studies and onwards. You can rent a place on your own, or share with other students. Sharing is common for students in the UK – it can help to reduce your costs and can be fun and sociable.

You might live in a two-, three- or four-bedroom house, for example, where you will have your own bedroom but share the bathroom, kitchen and living areas with other students.

You can find additional information about private hostels, lodgings, bed-sits or shared flats/houses on the British Council website.

Living expenses

Money to support yourself (‘financial requirement’)

To get a student visa, you’ll need to show you have enough money to support yourself.

How much money you need depends on where you will be studying. You’ll need either:

  • £1 334 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London.
  • £1 023 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London.

Student job

Working in the UK after Brexit

With a student visa you can work as a student union sabbatical officer.
You may be able to work - how much depends on what you’re studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time.
More information on Gov.uk.


Internships may be included in your study programme (especially in arts, engineering studies, medical studies…). This is especially the case for the so-called “sandwich courses”.

Sandwich courses normally last for four years at degree level, with work experience or foreign studies normally taking place in your third year.

Where you will go and what you will do depends on the subject; modern languages students might study at a foreign university, business students might work with companies either in Britain or abroad, while science students might work in a laboratory.

Some universities arrange placements for you, but others expect you to find one yourself. You might do this by writing to employers directly. Information about this is given by the different universities or colleges.

Students with special needs

UK universities and colleges are inclusive places that are equally welcoming to disabled and non-disabled students. They are legally required to make all facilities on campus accessible to all and not to discriminate against disabled students.

These laws apply to international students in the same way as they do to students who are UK citizens.

Before you enrol on a UK course, we strongly recommend that you contact your chosen university or college to tell them about your needs.

More information on UCAS.

Last update