United Kingdom Plan your studies

Higher education

The United Kingdom (UK) has 2 distinct educational systems: one for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and one for Scotland.

British universities

The 162 higher education institutions are all held to strict standards by the government, so you know you are getting the best teaching, support and resources available.

The Russell Group

The Russel Group is a network of 24 British public research universities which contains some of the most prestigious universities in the country such as the University of Birmingham, the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, and the University of York.


In Britain the following degrees are awarded:

Undergraduate degrees

  • Bachelor degree: 3 to 4 years of studies:  Bachelor of Arts-BA, Bachelor of Science- BSc, Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Engineering…

Postgraduate degrees

  • Master degree: 1-2 years of studies after a Bachelor degree: Master of Arts-MA, Master of Science-MSc.
  • Doctorate (PhD): conferred after at least 3 years of studies/research after a Master’s degree

Some specific information about British degrees

  • Single honours degree = single subject courses
  • Combined degree = course comprising 2 or more subjects
  • Foundation degree = employment rated higher education qualification
  • Foundation course (1 year) = bridge the gap between qualifications you have and those required to enter an undergraduate course (e.g. in fine arts). These courses are not eligible for state financial aid.

Find your study programme

British universities offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate studies.

Choose your courses on UCAS, the official website!

To help you make your choice, start with the very first questions like:

  • What subject area are you interested in?
  • Where do you want to study: at a Campus university or at a city university?
  • Are you looking for a big city or a town?
  • In which part of the country?
  • Are you planning to get back home regularly?

There might be some important differences concerning programmes between the various institutions!

How to apply

Applying through UCAS  

All applications to universities are made through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). You can apply to a maximum of 5 institutions on a single application each year. UCAS sends a copy of your form to each chosen institution.

You can start your application now in the UCAS Hub and submit it to UCAS from  September onwards.


for 2024 entry

  • 16 October  2023 for 2024 entry at 18:00 (UK time) – any course at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science, and dentistry. You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total.  
  • 31 January 2024 for 2024 entry at 18:00 (UK time) – for the majority of courses.
  • Clearing: opens on 5th of July 2024 and ends on 17th of October

Use Clearing if you:  

  • did not get the grades for your firm choice.
  • have not received any offers.
  • have hanged your mind and no longer want to go to your firm choice.
  • apply after 30 June.

Clearing vacancies are displayed in the UCAS Search Tool from 5 July.  

2025 entry key dates


Entry requirements for undergraduate courses

To be admitted to a Bachelor’s degree, you must be holder of a recognized secondary school leaving diploma. Other criteria:

  • good scholastic achievements (high marks in secondary school leaving examination)
  • personal statement explaining why you chose a specific course/university + indication of work experience, career aspirations…
  • reference letter (usually by a teacher or headmaster)
  • good knowledge of English = assessment through an English test: IELTS prepared at the Institut national des langues or TOEFL test.

Applying for postgraduate courses

You can use UCAS Postgraduate to apply for postgraduate courses. 

More information on the postgraduate search tool  and for details of how to apply for the courses you're interested in.

In short

  1. Try to gather all useful information on the various universities and their study programs.
  2. Make your application before the official deadlines.
  3. Follow the news regarding Brexit and its implications for students.
  4. Once you have been offered a place by a university, apply for a student visa.  The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course.
  5. Enroll for an English test before you sit your secondary school leaving examination (Toefl or IELTS tests) .
  6. Get information about scholarships and life in Britain in general. 
  7. Find accommodation; apply for a room in halls of residence or in private accommodation.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees in England

You’ll be eligible for ‘home fee’ status'  if your course in England has started before 2021. This will be available for the duration of your course, provided you meet the residency requirements.

More information on gov.uk

Tuition fees in Scotland

The Scottish Government has decided to end free university tuition for EU students starting in 2021-22.

If you were already studying in 2020-2021,  the cost of your tuition fees will be covered by the Scottish Government. This would be for the duration of your studies.

Distance learning

Higher education courses can be studied in flexible ways. There are different study types, work combinations and part-time options as well as distance learning leading to Bachelor and Master degrees. Information about those courses can be found on the following websites:

Distance learning is one particular form of open learning in which tutors and learners are separated by geographical distance. This is also called a home-study or correspondence course.

Many universities offer degree courses with a distance learning option. You'll find the complete list on ucas.com.

The Open University

With specially designed introductory courses, you can gradually build towards your first university-level qualification, towards a degree and even beyond.

Congé individuel de formation  

The "congé individuel de formation" is a special leave of 80 days especially meant for employees and independent workers to participate in study programmes, courses, exams and in-service training.

Financial Aid

You may get a financial assistance from the Luxembourg Government if you fulfill the official conditions !

Apply until 30 November/30 April.

Last update