Netherlands Moving to the Netherlands

Student visa

European students do not need a specific permit to study in Holland. A valid passport or identity card is sufficient. If you stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you must register in a database of natural persons ("Basisregistratie Personen" or BPR) in the municipality where you live. You will automatically receive the "Bürgerservicenummer" which you will need for administrative purposes.

Health insurance

As long as you do not work or take up a paid internship in the Netherlands, you are not obliged to take out any additional insurance in Holland. You are insured for your medical care through the Luxembourg health system; your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will cover your necessary medical costs during your stay in Holland.


In the Netherlands, students usually do not live on campus, but have their own room. It can be difficult to find a suitable room in most cities. Therefore, it is important to start looking for accommodation as early as possible.

An average room costs between 400.-€ and 600.-€ per month. You will find specific student housing organizations as well as private accomodation ones.

Find your place to live on Studyinholland.

Living expenses

Prices can vary considerably depending on how and where you live. International students usually spend between 800.-€ and 1.100.-€ per month.

Prices for accommodation are around 300.-€ to 600.-€ a month. The costs depend on the city in which you are going to live, and what is included in the rent. Accommodation in Amsterdam for example is more expensive than in smaller towns. You can find more information about accommodation in our section on Student accomodation.

Other expenses

Normally one third of the living expenses goes to food and another third will go towards leisure, books, travel and other expenses.

Student job & internship

Besides helping to cover your costs, a job can also give you useful work experience, allowing you to participate in Dutch society and make it easier for you to learn the language.

Students from the EU/EEA can freely work without restrictions. However you must know that as soon as you start a job or a paid internship, you are obliged to register with the Dutch basic healthcare insurance. This applies regardless of how many hours you work per week.

How to find a student job?

The easiest way to find a job is through an employment agency, or "uitzendbureau". You can also contact the student affairs office at your university.

Last update