Denmark Moving to Danemark

Student visa

The document that allows foreign citizens to study in Danemark is called "residence permit" rather than "student visa"

Who needs a residence permit ?

  • EU/EEA and Switzerland citizens have to apply for an EU residence document (not a residence permit)  at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).
  • Non-EU/EEA and Switzerland citizens have to apply for the residence permit.

Health Insurance

If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and plan to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months, and provided you are covered by the statutory health insurance service in your home country, you enjoy full access to the Danish national healthcare system once you have registered with the Civil Registration System (CPR). To register you must present a residence permit and a valid EHIC card issued by your statutory health insurance.

As long as you do not work or take up a paid internship in Denmark, you are not obliged to take out any additional insurance in Denmark. You are insured for your medical care through the Luxembourg health system; your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will cover your necessary medical costs during your stay in Denmark.

Accomodation & Living Expenses

The cost of living in Denmark is generally high. Living in Copenhagen can cost between 1.280 € and 1.800 € per month, while the recommended monthly budget for smaller cities can be a bit lower.

Danish universities do not have a tradition for on-campus housing. Most students live in student halls of residences (Kolligier) situated some distance from campus. The institutions of higher education are able to assist you in finding a place to live – some may even guarantee to find a place for you.

  • Room in a hall of residence (Kollegier), price: 240-460 € / month
  • Privately rented room in a house of a flat, price: 270-600 € / month
  • Privately rented flat – either alone or shared with other students, prices vary considerably: 470-940 € / month

Some average living costs throughout Denmark are:

Meal: 18 €

Coffee: 6 €

Cinema Ticket: 16 €

Monthly rent: 1-bedroom apartment: 500 - 1,350 €

Monthly Transport: 50 - 80 €

More information: study in denmark

Student job & internship

Finding a student job in Denmark is not always easy if you don’t speak Danish. However, bars, restaurants and workplaces that require special foreign language skills are good places to look for one. Some academic institutions have online job banks or career centers that can assist you in finding a student job. The Danish Employment Services provide information on living and working conditions and job opportunities for foreigners.

Internships (in Danish: praktikant) could be part of your study programme. Depending on the credit you are given, the internship can be part-time or full-time. In that case, check the requirements and all details with the careers service at your university. You can also contact companies directly for internship placements.

Danish government website for international recruitment: 

Students with special needs

Special Educational Support -SPS (specialpædagogisk støtte in Danish) provides compensatory support for full degree students with physical or psychological disabilities, giving you the opportunity to undertake your studies on equal terms with other students. If you want to get an overview of your needs and opportunities for support you can get in touch with one of the SPS-counsellors at your university: More information.

Last update